Both federal and state laws limit the tactics that collection agencies can use when contacting you. A skilled attorney can take action against collection agencies that employ harassment and intimidation.
Collection Agency Harassment
The federal government has passed laws against collection agency harassment. These statutes work cohesively to define borrowers’ rights.
They also provide legal means against violations including:
- Using obscene or profane language
- Calling outside the hours of 8am and 9pm
- Making repeated calls over short periods of time
- Using any manner of mail that shows it was sent from a collection agency
- Refusing to identify the name of the caller or the agency’s name
- Threatening physical harm or damage to property
- Sending literature that resembles legal documents when it is not
- Sharing information with your employer
- Failing to clearly outline methods to dispute a bill
- Pretending to be someone besides a collector
With so many people struggling under the weight of excessive debt, it is impossible for regulators to monitor all collection efforts. Many violations of the FDCPA go unchallenged. Our knowledge of fair debt collection practices can protect your rights and your peace of mind.